Lights, camera, kale! The real action happens when we fuel our bodies with foods that make us glow so bright we create a buzz without the expensive publicity. “Wow her skin is radiant, what thick hair and that radiant glow! I’ll have what she’s having!”
We are slowly shifting the conversation from who’s your doctor to what are you eating? This makes me happy as I raise my green smoothie to cheers this way of thinking. Every time we eat or drink, we are making a decision in one direction or another. Foods that fuel us or drag us down!
Let me say, I think it’s important to consume foods, thoughts & habits that make us our best selves. But – for the purpose of this blog, I’m going to share the top choices to make you red carpet ready!
1. You’re gonna love this first one because it’s free and easy to get down! Water my friends! We are 60% water and every system in our body benefits from being well hydrated. Just 2% under hydrated causes fatigue to set in. So lift your head off the desk and chug some water homie! Better news… when we are properly hydrated our metabolism operates 3% faster. Water flushes toxins out of your body, plumps your skin and mellows wrinkles. Bottoms up baby!
2. Aging slows when we ease up on the animal protein and add in more plant protein. Animal protein includes Bessie, chickens, Mary’s little lamb, piggies and so on, which have all been linked to cancer, heart disease and many other illnesses. We are not radiating beauty and health when struck with these sicknesses. In short, factory farming not only provides horrific living & slaughtering conditions, but these animals are fed a Genetically Modified grain diet (far from natural) and are pumped with hormones and antibiotics. When we consume them, we also consume everything they’ve eaten, been injected with and if you so believe, the fearful hormones released when killed.
I can hear it, “So what are some beauty rich plant-based options Jill?” I got you! But keep in mind the strongest animals out there; think gorillas, hippos, rhinos… all are vegetarian.
- Any beans like black, pinto, garbanzo, etc.
- Nuts and seeds
- Quinoa, brown rice and amaranth
- Greens like kale, spinach, collards
- Veggies: mushrooms, cauliflower, asparagus and broccoli
3. Popeye had it right. Down your greens, honey! These babies are loaded with fiber, alkaline minerals, nutrients, vitamins and minerals. They are the most nutrient dense of all foods.
Incorporate more raw veggies since heat destroys some of the nutrients. Pack yourself a salad, variety of raw veggies or throw a handful of greens in your smoothie. And always choose Organic when possible to prevent un-welcomed pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals.
4. Trust your gut and feed it so it trusts you back. Our tummies are the landlord to both good and bad bacteria. We want to starve out the bad bacteria and force them to evacuate! 60% of our immune system, as well as our mood, are controlled by the gut.
When we feel healthy and in a kick-ass mood, we absolutely glow. Choose foods that are fermented and cultured. N.B about dairy – limit it! Dairy is not a beauty food. Benefits of being dairy free include a bright complexion, no bloating and less acidity in the body, less mucus which causes phlegm resulting in poor delivery of your lines and you also won’t be consuming any growth hormones or antibiotics.
Drink Kombucha, Coconut Kefir and Apple Cider Vinegar in a big glass of water. There are some impressive non-dairy yogurts out there made from almond, cashew and coconut milk. Sprouted, organic Tempeh cooks up great in a stir-fry. Fermented sauerkraut is tangy, crunchy and also wards off sugar cravings. Miso soup my friend! And yes even chocolate contains probiotics. Supplementing with a good quality probiotic with multiple strains is like having a fully trained understudy who’s got your back… or your gut!
5. Superfoods for a super you! A small quantity packs a big punch. Hey like me! Lol. These foods are coined “super” because literally a tablespoon contains an Oscar worthy amount of beautifying nutrients and overall health benefits. You can add them to your smoothie, oatmeal, salads, grains, trail mix… and since I’ve got a sweet tooth, I add them to my baked goods.
- Chia, flax, sesame, pumpkin and hemp seeds
- Goji berries
- Cacao powder or cacao nibs
- Green powders, like chlorella or spirulina
- Acai berries
- Coconut oil or coconut butter
Always remember though, true beauty always radiates from the inside out. Kindness shows in the eyes, authenticity and a genuine love through your smile, and a love for yourself lights up your whole face.